Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ordinary Days

I've been overly emotional the past few days, as I always am this time of year. My father died on June 1st, 1986, so it's a time where I do a lot of reflecting and spending time alone. And, lucky me, I also have my period, so ain't that dandy? So on Monday afternoon, while Brandon was biking and the kids were BOTH napping, I started watching this movie on Hallmark (you know, because I'm a SUCKER for the channel!) Anyway, I got about halfway through this movie and then we left to meet family at Pinchot for a picnic, so I didn't get to see the rest of it. On Monday night, it just happened to be on again, so I disappeared into the basement to sew and be by myself.

This movie was INCREDIBLE. Really, truly amazing. It's called "The Magic of Ordinary Days", and I have to say, I've become quite obsessed with it really. LOL!! I even ordered a copy off Ebay! I absolutely ADORE movies from different time periods. I can't tell you how many times I've watched "Anne of Green Gables/Avonlea", or the series "Avonlea", or various other period movies. I love them. They're so pure, and simple, and meaningful. And this movie was the perfect one to watch while I lift myself out the sadness that I'm feeling.

The movie takes place in Colorado in 1944, where a woman (Keri Russell) is sent by her father to marry a farmer (Skeet Ulrich) in an arrangement to ensure his grandchild isn't born out of wedlock. She tries to remain emotionally unattached to her new life, because she's punishing herself for turning to a man she barely knew after her mother died. And Ray (Skeet), is this sweet, caring man who just wants to love her and the baby.

Gah, I'm tearing up. I'm so strange right?!?! LOL!!! The movie really touched me, and it makes me fantasize about living in that time period. Obviously, it's a movie, and 1944 was NOT all puppy dogs and rainbows, but life was so........uncomplicated.

Sometimes I feel like the more "connected" I am to the rest of the world, the more DISCONNECTED I am to the people that actually matter. I spend all this time all day on here, emailing people, printing shipping labels, that I feel like I'm missing out on my life. It makes me angry sometimes, but sad mostly, that the world has come to this. What would it be like to be part of a close community or small town? What would it feel like to just be responsible for what you need? Not working for other people, or driving everywhere all the time, or buying lots of things that we don't really need and have no meaning to us. What if we could be self-sufficient again? If we had to, would any of us even know how? Could we just BE the people we were meant to be with no apologies or self-doubt? Could we enjoy simple things like sitting in silence on a summer night? Could we watch our kids run and play from the porch, without checking our phone? Wouldn't it be nice to try?

Wouldn't it be nice to escape the world and find the extroidinary moments in ordinary days?

No comments: