Thursday, September 23, 2010

Organized Chaos



So, my husband always comments that I try to be so "over" organized, that most of the time my world explodes into chaos around me. But sometimes, trying to be a full-time EVERYTHING just makes anything BUT chaos one of those things you only dream about. So as my kindergartener is "napping/resting" for soccer, and my almost 2-year-old is sprinkling every toy we own like confetti around the family room, I can give everyone a little insight into the fabric/crafting supplies that have taken over the house. And yes, for the record, I'd like to add that I am also listening to the washing machine AND the dishwasher running............because I like to live on the edge.

Soooooo, what happens when your obsession over fabric transforms itself into a new business? Let's take a look-see, shall we?

Tools of the trade:

After cursing 3 cheaper sewing machines, and spending way too much time and money on their constant repairs, I decided to buy myself one of these bad boys.
It has yet to disappoint.

Where would I be without my scissors and cutting board. Now, this is just one of MANY places that I end up cutting fabric during the day. This particular board is strategically placed in the first floor office, so I can sneak off and cut while my kids are happily playing together. I usually manage a good 2 minutes before someone is terrorizing someone else. My REAL space is my 5' x 6' cutting table that I managed to snag when Ben Franklin went out of business a few years ago.
A stack of hand-drawn/cut patterns.


Some of my cutting/measuring tools. Can you believe all FOUR of my pattern cutting weights made this picture? Usually at least one is missing because my kids like to pretend they're cannonballs.


Some fabric waiting to be sorted.





Multiple piles of luscious minky waiting to be made into blankets. Sometimes I dream about making minky angels in a pile with yards and yards of this fabulous material.
No worries, I would at least keep my clothes on. ;-)


A few bolts of twill waiting to be washed. Wait, is that my HUTCH in the picture? Oh, right, it's in my dining room at the moment.



A bolt of Joel Dewberry's Brown Sparrow print (one of my faves!). And yes, those are pictures of my son when he was 9-months old waving a Terrible Towel. Don't hate.


Some of the Dr. Seuss fabric that arrived earlier this week. It's already a huge hit!


Boxes waiting to be filled. We recycle here. This means that fabric comes in, the boxes are emptied, and then they sit in the front room and wait to be reused. Because really, why waste time crushing them, and then re-taping them. Besides, the piano needed some company out there.

Shipping supplies, postcards, Mei Tai directions, etc.


A new shipment of marketing supplies from Vistaprint.



This used to be a cute little nook that you can see when you walk in the front door. It's now a convenient place to store printed shipping labels before I package carriers. Klassy decor huh?


Mei Tai straps ready to be ironed. These are located on an ironing board in my family room. At least I can have something to distract me while my kids watch the same episode of "Backyardigans" or "Ben10" for the millionth time.


Some finished carriers and a finished apron. These are located on one of two ironing boards located in the basement, aka my sewing lair.


Some finished shoes and the much-needed lint rollers. The world of fine textiles is a dirty business.




Getting ready for the Baby and Toddler Expo next month. Don't these look fantastic in my hallway?


The computer where I am currently printing my shipping labels, since my laptop seemed unimpressed with the printer drivers that I unsuccessfully installed about a thousand times. It's from 1997, isn't she hot?!?


Some new bags for the show.

Some "in progress" shots.








And now for some pictures from the craft studio in the basement. Yes, sadly, most of the previous pictures were taken in the office or first floor.

The bin of zippers for bags.



Some bins for separating scraps of fabric. You didn't think I threw any good fabric away, did you?


Snaps for my snap press. I'm hoping to get some cloth diapers designed soon. You know, maybe when an extra hour pops up somewhere.


Another display from Ben Franklin. Wait, there's an empty space? Hmm, guess I need more fabric.

Some felt and miscellaneous tulle.

Fabric for cloth diapers.


Just some of my collection of Amy Butler fabrics. Can you spot the one piece of fabric that isn't Amy Butler?

Bags cut and ready to be assembled.









Another display courtesy of Ben Franklin going out of business. Yankee Candle has the most AWESOME displays!

And where would I be without a few superstitions, right?

This is the pattern I made for the body of the Mei Tai with one of the first fat quarters of fabric I bought when this entire thing got started. EVERY Mei Tai is cut out using this as the template.

I MUST wear these slippers when I sew at my machine. MUST.

THIS is the pile of clean cloth diapers that was in the dryer while I wrote this post. Because unfortunately, mother nature thought it was JULY when she chose the weather for today and it's like a bazillion degrees and 100% humidity out there.

So there you have it, a little glimpse into some of the chaos that we experience in this house on a regular basis. Isn't it GREAT!!!! :-)

And with that, I will leave you, because my daughter just handed me a sippy cup that I haven't seen in a loooong time, and I just hope it's WATER in there.