I woke up thinking this would be just like any other Thursday. I thought it would be even better, because the thermometer is finally reading a number that starts with a 5, and DST is only 3 days away. So I fed Sadie at 6 am, she went back to sleep, so I thought I'd spend a little time on the laptop. I thought I'd try and beat my survey earnings from yesterday's almost $20 (awesome, right?), and I needed to respond to emails that I put off when I decided I would be a bum last night. So imagine my anxiety when the laptop told me there was a "startup failure" and a "repair" needed to be done. OMG. What do I DO?!?!? I panicked and grabbed my cell phone, hoping Brandon could walk me through this repair in the midst of my nervous breakdown. WTH, my cell phone was DEAD, after being plugged into the charger all night.
Is this for real?!? I haven't been without a cell phone since I turned 16 in 1994 and was driving through the mean streets of Reading every day for ballet rehearsals/classes. You know, back when I had my badass gray flip phone that weighed a mere 2 pounds, with a cell phone plan that gave you 15 minutes a month. FIFTEEN. I know, be jealous. It was like, SO much better than my mom's bag cell phone.
So, my technology-impaired morning continued with a landline phone call to my husband, who DID NOT ANSWER. Fantastic. So I make my way into the office, dust off the computer armoire and turn on the 'ol desktop that hasn't had electricity coursing through it's cords since before Sadie was born. There isn't even a bookmark for Lime Jello on this thing. As I stare at the monitor that came with the first computer my mom bought me in 1996, I reach for the mouse that no longer exists because Ben thought it was a cool toy back in the day. OMG, do we OWN a mouse that plugs in?!? Do they even exist anymore?
My morning is ticking away, so I get the kids in the car to take Ben to school and the entire ride there I am in a panic that I haven't responded to my wholesale dealer yet, and I am for sure never going to find another good deal on brown twill again. What is wrong with me? My mom was a SAHM in the '80's when playdates were arranged with a rousing game of phone tag with other moms desperate for adult interaction. Here I am, minus Facebook updates for one morning and I think the world is going to end. Do you think I am addicted to technology?
I finally get home, put Sadie down for her nap, and find a USB mouse on Brandon's desk. Wait, does the desktop HAVE a USB port, it's like a bazillion years old. Deep breaths, deep breaths. The good news is that obviously it did, or I would not be typing this right now. However, in the time it took me to boot this thing, I completed an entire carrier. I'm not kidding. This thing is slower than Ben trying to get dressed on a school day.
I am keeping every body part that I have crossed that my laptop can be fixed tonight, because I realized this morning that my life could not exist in it's present form without it. I have 3 Ebay messages, 2 Etsy messages, and a wholesale dealer all needing my immediate attention. I thought technology was supposed to make life easier, not more stressful.
So I finally feel my blood pressure coming down after a morning of panic that my beloved laptop had seen it's final days. I've been assured that it's not that bad, and that I will be back on the internet at a normal speed in just a few short hours.
Damn, the '90s were rough.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment