Friday, January 14, 2011

What's on for today?

So, my friend Miranda posted on her blog about this really cool message board she made in her quest to be more organized in 2011. And while I don't have any extra picture frames laying around, I DID have this set of 4 squares of cork that I bought at Ollie's for $5 a few years back sitting in my craft studio collecting fabric lint.

So I decided to take a break from sewing today to try out a new project. I must say, it looks pretty darn AWESOME.
4 squares of cork

Amy Butler fabric to cover the 4 squares

Ironing out the wrinkles


Fabric cut about 1" larger than cork on all sides

I coordinated some ribbon for each piece

Using a hot glue gun, I pulled edges tightly and glued the fabric around the edges of the cork.





Completed tile

Glue coordinating ribbon across corner.





Line up the ribbon on each tile and glue them together along the edges.



There was a funky hole in the center where all the tiles met, so I glued 2 buttons stacked together to cover it up.



Front of message board.

Next, I cut a piece of cardboard for the back, since the cork was still a little flimsy. I cut the cardboard about an inch smaller than the board on each side.

I used a nice piece of cardboard from the box from Sadie's play kitchen she got for her birthday. :-) It was the perfect size, and nice and sturdy.


Then I glued the cardboard to the back of the corkboard.

Annnnnd........

Voila!! The message/cork board's new home on my pantry dorr.

It works out great, because we each have our own square to keep papers, sports schedules, doctor's appt, etc organized. The only thing I didn't think about was how I can fit the school calendar on the door with it. Ooops! LOL!!

4 comments:

Miranda said...

HOLY CRAP! THis thing is AWESOME!

Abramyan Avenue said...

Wow!! This is really cute! And it looks so easy! My girls would love to have something like this they could personalize and utilize! Love the idea!
-April

Let'sMakeADifference said...

I'm blog hopping and found yours! I'm now following! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!

Erin Branscom said...

You should sell those on Etsy! So cute! Love your blog and I am following you! :) Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com