Sadie is currently wearing her brother's old BLUE hoodie and Ben is playing with his sister's plastic tea set. OMG, the HORROR. Guess instead of college accounts, I should be contributing to "therapy funding" accounts.
Now, I know how annoying the 'ol "just wait" phrase is. Hell, I know I still get annoyed when people say it to me about kids older than my own. But damn, people have some serious hangups with issues that are just downright ridiculous. I really hate the way society puts stigmas on certain things, especially with kids. It's so hard sometimes to push aside all of the stereotypes that are out there. In fact, sometimes I feel like I may overcompensate, just to make a point. I feel like I push art and music on Ben, just to make sure he knows it's ok for him to like them. I'm a "big picture" kinda girl. I believe that fulfillment and happiness in life stems from a well-rounded, sum-of-it's-parts mentality. By having a healthy respect for how the world works and every individual's importance in helping it function. Keeping sight of what's truly important, and letting go of all those trivial things that just don't matter in the end. But, I digress......
I'm finishing the kid's closets and by damn, there are PLENTY of clothes that Ben has outgrown that are perfectly fine for Sadie. I know I'm going to disappoint the people at Carter's when I say this, but I don't think anyone is going to call CPS on me when they find out that a pair of my daughter's 18 month khakis were bought in the boys section. Not only is it incredibly wasteful to get rid of perfectly good clothes because your older child of the opposite sex wore them, but who has the time and money to go buy more clothes all the time? Did I miss the section of the parenting book that said girls are only allowed to wear clothes that are frilly and pink? It must be with the section on "how to stop whining", because I'm missing that part too.
This is one of my favorite pictures of Sadie. I think it's hilarious, but, wait.....what's she wearing?!?! OMG, it's Ben's blue and white sleep sack with the airplane on it. IDENTITY CRISIS.
Maybe I'm cheap. Maybe it's the whole fact that I'd rather save my money for something useful. Maybe it's the fact that I'm a SAHM and don't have extra money to throw around.
Yeah, no, it's the fact that I'm an ADULT now, not some crazed teenager that will only wear clothes from the GAP for fear of embarassment and social suicide. At some point in my adult life, I stopped caring what other people think. I decided to go about my own business, do the best that I can with what I have, and just concentrate on being happy.
So the next time you see a frazzled father changing his newborn son into his older sister's pink onesie, give him a smile and a little chuckle as you picture the mountain of dirty, poop and spitup covered laundry sitting next to his washing machine. But if you still feel the need to judge, feel free to hop in your cheerio and juice-stained free car and drive on over to Kohl's to pick up a nice, brand-spankin' new 5-pack of BLUE onesies. I'm sure that little boy will be all-too-happy to leave nice a big stain of runny poop on it the FIRST chance he gets.







No comments:
Post a Comment